• The New Pavillion at Greystone Castle

    Castle History

Castle History

The Greystone Castle History originated from the dream of a Texas businessman. He was looking to build a Castle as the centerpiece for the ultimate outdoor sporting facility. He searched for years to find the ideal land with unparalleled natural beauty. He started construction on the building in the 1980’s, added 13 lakes, 30 miles of roads and a 60-run dog kennel. After finishing the three walls and 4 turrets, he sold the beginnings of the castle and it’s 4000 acres to several investors. These investors added Lodge 1 and 2, the dining room and an open air pavilion as the South structure.

By the late 1990’s, Greystone Castle Sporting Club had added to its acreage and was operating as a commercial hunting ranch. In addition to Wingshooting, Exotics Hunting and Whitetail Deer Hunting were added to the list of hunting activities. As it became obvious that many upgrades and expansions were needed, 2 of the original investor groups decided to sell out.

Castle Hunting Lodges

In the mid 2000’s, the current ownership of Greystone Castle came together and formulated a partnership to turn Greystone Castle Sporting Club into a worldwide premier destination. Upgrades began immediately including the addition of the conference room, Owner’s Lodge, and Hunting Lodges 3, 4, and 5. The dining room was upgraded and the castle walls were improved. The dusty gravel driveway up to the castle was paved and a giant lake project was initiated to create a Trophy Bass Fishing haven.

In 2011, Greystone Castle was awarded it’s first Orvis Wingshooting Lodge of the Year Trophy. Plans were finalized and ground broken to build a brand new 2600 square foot pavilion. This was finished in the Spring of 2014. Then 2015 brought another Orvis Wingshooting Lodge of the Year award.

The next major projects were to build a new wobble deck/5-stand and pool facility. The Wobble Deck opened in January of 2015 and the 5-stand opened in October. Heavy rain throughout the Spring of 2015 filled up the redesigned lake and bass were stocked. New roads through-out the hunt field were put in. The pool, hot tub, and steam room were completed in November of 2015.

Greystone Castle Today

The ownership of Greystone Castle today is now proud to manage 6,500 acres of prime wildlife habitat. While the Wingshooting program continues to be world class, the Whitetail Deer Hunting and Exotic Hunting programs are seeing the results of the extensive long-term investure. Over 100 acres of lakes are now managed for trophy fishing and new outdoor activity programs have started to attract corporate groups for meeting and getaways. Future improvements are always being discussed and could include a casting pond and the inclusion of spa services.

  • Thurber, Texas

    Brick makers in Thurber, Texas during its heyday.

    The History of Thurber Texas

The History of Thurber

The History of Thurber, Texas began with it’s founding in 1888 by the Texas and Pacific Coal Company. At one time, it was the 3rd largest town in Texas. Coal, oil and brick were the most important factors in Thurber’s growth. The coal fueled the railways which opened up the Southwest. The oil discovery helped the American troops through WWI. Oil production made the area so wealthy that by the 1900’s, every house was equipped with running water and electricity. The brick, made of the high quality shale found in the local hills, was used to pave highways, streets, and even build seawalls.

Famous streets paved in Thurber brick include Congress Avenue in Austin, the Bankhead Highway, and Main Street in Fort Worth, as well as the Fort Worth Stockyard.

Industry in Thurber

Thurber was known as a melting pot for immigrants. Over 18 ethnic groups worked as coal miners and brick makers. These workers were subjected to very difficult working conditions and poor pay. The area became the only totally unionized town in the world after the coal miners’ strike in 1903. This vastly improved the quality of life and led to a strong start to the 20th century.

By the 1930’s, Thurber History changed as railroads switched away from coal use, the miners were forced to move on to new occupations. The brick factory was shut down and the oil wells turned off. This left the once booming town a virtual ghost town.